Wednesday, December 5, 2007

How to Read the Bible?

I was about to go to Hypermarket, Mall of Asia to buy some food for dinner last Monday (after attending a meeting at Science Discovery Center) when I passed by a book store - Book for Less. Feeling ko parang Book Sale sya na may mga books worth P20.00 only so I went inside. I saw good books; there were Bibles, devotional books, cook books, academic, etc. but they're quite expensive pa rin (for used books) .

I got one book (wheew! I forgot the title!) and scanned the pages. Nabasa ko ung part na "How to read the Bible" (something like that). I could still remember some points...

- Read the Bible per theme. Have a specific topic and read passages about it (e.g. purity, worship, etc.). The use of Concordance may help.
- Read per book. Like any other books, it's good to read by chapter to establish continuity. Eventually, this will give you better understanding.

- Memorize a verse. It's good to read even a verse in the morning, memorize it and keep that in mind for the whole day. (Ginagawa ko 'to at masaya! hihi. Like for today I have Psalm 58:11 "Then men will say: 'Surely the righteous still are rewarded; surely there is a God who judges the earth."
- Read more. Use other reading materials/references that will help you understand the passage (Bible dictionaries, History, etc.).
- Make your reading creative. Have questions in mind and find out the answer; "Why did God say this?", "What happened after this or that?", "Who was behind this?" and so on.

There are lot of ways on how we can enjoy Bible reading. I'm discovering my own strategy... ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

salamat po sa insight... it is really helpful po. God Bless!

KheN said...

Hi chris! nakatulong din yan sa'kin...

welcome! God bless din!